Goal: By 2015, West Virginia ranks first in the nation in the percentage of residents who start a business.
Committee chairman: Jeff James
- Review the Vision Shared Entrepreneurship Team’s Blueprint for Entrepreneurial Development in West Virginia plus other relevant background materials.
- Explore reviving the Young Entrepreneurs Support Network (YESNetwork)
- Review current legislation related to entrepreneurial growth.
- Review the current entrepreneurship activities available in the state.
- Determine barriers to entrepreneurship in West Virginia.
- Recruit other entrepreneurship committee members.
Action Steps for the Remainder of Year 1
- Explore/pursue legislation allowing entrepreneurial growth to happen.
- Study successful entrepreneurship programs or tools (i.e. low-interest loan programs, education/curriculum in schools, employee-stock ownership partnership creation) across the nation and analyze applicability to West Virginia.
- Analyze curriculum and encourage coordinate entrepreneurship education from public school to higher education (include all apprenticeship/certificate programs, not just community and technical colleges and four-year schools).
- Educate the public on entrepreneurship as a career option via a media and education campaign. Remove the mystery of starting a business. Celebrate successful entrepreneurs.
- Conduct a survey to understand the challenges of small business owners.
- Build an entrepreneurship feedback panel.
Action Steps for Years 2-3
- Implement entrepreneurial training programs in schools, K-12 or higher.
- Increase availability of capital for start-ups possibly by passing legislation to change our tax structure or establish funds for start-ups or promote the development of additional/expanded community development financial institutions.
- Encourage state government to assign a statewide entrepreneurship “czar.”
- 11-30-2012 Leadership Team Meeting 2013 Plan
- 5-3-2012 Entrepreneurship Committee
- 4-20-2012 Entrepreneurship Committee
- 3-28-2012 Entrepreneurship Committee
- 3-6-2012 Entrepreneurship Committee
- 2-2-2012 Conference Call Meeting
- 11-18-2011 Conference Call Meeting
- 2-3-11 VSE-Ship Session Notes
- 2-3-11 Agenda and Meeting Details
- VS Blueprint for Entrepreneurship
- Previous VS Entrepreneurship Activities
- Feedback from VS Stakeholder Sessions
- VS Strategic Plan 2011-2014 Team Activities
- ELS Accomplishments
- 2-3-11 Entrepreneurship Committee launch meeting
- Investing in Entrepreneurs